15 selected for Ark. Military Veterans Hall of Fame | News
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- The Arkansas Military Veterans Hall of Fame (AMVHOF) has announced the selection of fifteen Arkansans for induction for the year 2011.
They will be recognized during induction ceremonies at the Hall of Fame annual banquet November 11th at the Agora Center in Conway, Arkansas. The fifteen veterans were selected by an independent committee of veterans chaired by a Brigadier General and oversighted by the Arkansas Office of Veterans Affairs.
The complete list of inductees selected, their current residence and a few service highlights are as follows:
1. William O. Darby, Fort Smith (WWII, Two Distinguished Service Crosses, Darby's Rangers)
2. James L. Hughes, Magnolia (Vietnam,3 Distinguished Flying Crosses, POW 1967-1973, Air Medal)
3. William L. Russell, Fayetteville (WWII & Korea, Silver Star, 8 Purple Hearts)
4. Mark Douglas Diggs, Little Rock (Vietnam, Bronze Star, 2 Purple Hearts)
5. Donald Erivan Grigg, El Dorado (Vietnam, Silver Star, Bronze Star, 2 Purple Hearts)
6. Bernard Dunn, Louann (WWII, 2 Distinguished Flying Crosses, 4 Air Medals, "Ace" Pilot)
7. Walker E. Conrad, Jonesboro (WWII, Distinguished Flying Cross, 3 Air Medals, POW 1944)
8. Orie F. Morgan, El Dorado (WWII, Bronze Star for Valor, Purple Heart)
9. Burnice E. Rose, Mulberry (WWII & Vietnam, 2 Bronze Stars, Purple Heart, 2 Air Medals)
10. Russell H. Dowden, New Palestine, Ind.(Vietnam, Silver Star, 2 Legions of Merit, Purple Heart)
Five inductees were honored for both military and community service and veteran support work in the State:
11. Andy F. Aldridge, No. Little Rock (Korea, Purple Heart, Korean Service Medal, UN Medal)
12. Freeman Owens, Pine Bluff (WWI, Good Conduct Medal, Invented 200 Motion Picture patents)
13. Jerry W. Bowen, Jonesboro (Vietnam, 2 Legions of Merit, 2 Bronze Stars, Military Officers Assoc.)
14. Lex E. Davis, Sherwood (Vietnam, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Wheel Chair Special Olympics)
15. James C. Johnson, Van Buren (Korea & Vietnam, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, Uniform Auto License Plates).
"We are extremely gratified to be able to permanently recognize such a high caliber slate of inductees". said Conrad Reynolds, (Colonel US Army Retired), Director of the Arkansas Military Veterans Hall of Fame. " These Veterans have represented Arkansas magnificently with their service. Their accomplishments need to be honored and their stories told".
The Inductees will receive a Medallion. Tickets to the banquet may be purchased by calling the AMVHOF office at 1-888-329-3845. The public is also encouraged to submit nominations of worthy Arkansans for the 2012 class of Inductees. Nomination forms may be secured through the Hall of Fame website at www.amvhof.org
Upcoming Events near Sherwood
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Security issues at Burns Park in North Little Rock
- 'Disney on Ice' headed for Verizon Arena in May
- Name of NLR shooting police officer released
- String of Car Break-Ins in North Little Rock
- Pulaski Tech faculty members worry for their jobs after seeing some of their peers let go by the school's administration. Now the faculty wants a voice in the process. Faculty senators draft a change in the rules of grievance.